What We Do
Decisionability is an expert consultancy based on a core philosophy: the holistic integration of evidence, economics and emotion in decision making.
We use our proprietary set of risk and benefit characterization tools and displays to help organizations understand, prioritize mitigate and optimize their activities in pursuit of a defined strategy. In doing so we are drivers of cultural change in organizations.
The Decisionability Triangle
"No decision can be optimized without analyzing and addressing technical, economic and human issues"
A New Approach
A comparison of the traditional portfolio prioritization/optimization approach with Decisionability's model.
"Traditional" Comprehensive Value Model
Definition of Risk
Overall Probability of Technical Success or Probabilistic decision tree
Probability and Severity [sensitivity from"baggage" to termination"
Value and Technical risks
Holistic - technical, economic and human
Teams are informed of their candidate's value and priority, may become "entitled" to a budget.
Teams enabled to create their risk profile and become cost-risk-value conscious
What the budget allows for the candidate as it is prioritised
Whatever action leads to greatest resolution of risk at least cost.
- What: create value and efficiency through actions that drive the greatest resolution of risk for the least cost
- How: provide a service and tools to enable organizations to integrate value, cost and risk in their development programs
- Create transparency by characterizing risks for likelihood and seriousness
- Illustrate the effect of these risks on project value through tolerability of risk models of attrition
- Identify possible opportunities/actions to address the key risks
- Mitigate risks that have the greatest opportunity for risk reduction per unit cost - prioritize actions that do this
- Stimulate a culture of risk-awareness and support to creative solutions that deliver the best opportunities for risk resolution at lowest unit cost
- Tolerate risks that cannot be addressed cost-effectively - take no action on these risks
Unique features of Decisionability
- A simple but powerful suite of decision support tools that people can understand and trust
- "THE" holistic assessment of Technical, Human and Economic benefits and risks
- A common currency enabling direct comparison of different types of issue
- Proprietary displays of risk and benefit for projects and portfolios
- Decision-point optimization that minimizes harm from decision errors
- Risk-cost-benefit optimization for business strategies and portfolios
- Prioritized ACTIONS not projects
Real examples of success
- Savings of $20M for Pharma company about to spend on managing the wrong risks
- Over-optimistic "guesses" of technical success of 80% upwards switched to realistic numbers <20% to <5% from team inputs
- Providing the data to terminate "dead drug walking" projects
- Demonstration that a licensing candidate was not worth the price